My Game & My Ever Evolving Perspective



So without further delay, here is a link to download my video game!

This version is the exact version I handed up for my final college deadlines... well, except for two things...
- I added 'Now Loading' text.
- I added the up arrow as a jump button.
In retrospective I could have released it as a sequel, or DLC maybe!.. Okay, lets not go there.

I had planned on holding on to the game longer so that I could remaster it with all new assets and such. However I have come to realise that I'm not going to get a chance to do anything significant with it this summer and, even if I did, I should start from scratch with a new game. I've learned so much from the experience of making it that I'd probably end up spending all my time trying to fix the foundations instead of doing something new and exciting.


So what pushed to make that decision? Well lots of things, its been on the back of my mind since this year of college ended! More recently, last week in fact, I got a chance to be a part of the Clonmel Junction Festival along with a few my peers!


No idea why we had a Creative Multimedia sign for the Game Art & Design Students but anyway...

It was a jam packed two hours (plus setup time)! There was always someone waiting to play the games.

Now for the plot twist... The wrong build of my game was installed on the computers...

That's not really the fault of the organisers or anything, they took the latest build of my game from my assignment submissions. I didn't make a build for my final deadlines because it would double my file size and I was being marked on my code anyway, which you can't really see in a build.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to install the latest version because the computers were not connected to the internet and they didn't have Unity...

The version of my game that ended up on the computers was about a month older than the final one. It was missing some assets but more importantly it didn't have some of the adjustments I made to the game and it was ... well, it had some game breaking bugs...


So for the first half of the event I was (mildly) freaking out. Not only was it my first public showing of a game I made but it wasn't the latest version.

Then something remarkable happened!

No one gave a sh**.

Everyone seemed impressed that we made games that worked at all!
I guess I was worried that people might be comparing these games to the big block buster franchises that they normally play.



Most of the people who tried the games were quite young, and even they seemed amazed by the work we did.
Although one child and his parent were very persistent in asking me if we could put Roblox on the computers...

My game even started a competitive scene towards the end! It's not a competitive game, but because of some of the game breaking bugs and lack of refinement in that older version, the game was literally impossible to beat! However, one kid GOT SO CLOSE! It was scary how efficient he got at the game! I was genuinely considering that I should buying some sort of prize for anyone who could beat it.

Maybe I should upload that version too, it seemed to go down well!


I think I just have to accept that its still early days for me in this game making business.

When you spend so much time on something you see all the flaws. Its often really difficult to put yourself in someone else shoes for a moment long enough to appreciate what you did.
I guess it's a good thing that I see so many mistakes because it means I'm learning!
I've learned a lot this year...

I also learned this!..


We shall 'shlaters',
Richard.


_______________
Blog Notes :

Special thank you to Marie, one of our lectures, for all the help getting us set up and to Alice (OneCuriousChip) for stepping in to teach people how to play our games when it got busy!


Do you do the social medias? No way! Me too!
-  Find me on Facebook!
-  Find me on Twitter!
-  Find me on Instagram!