Project Burned Bridge - Game Design Document




Last year I made a game as part of a college assignment. This is the Design Document for Burnt_Bridge, a short experience exploring themes of isolation and vulnerability.

You can download the game here for free


This document acted as my goal. I had to compromise a few things in the end to make my deadline. But, as the saying goes, shoot for the moon and land among the stars.

My game's priority was to give a sense of isolation and vulnerability, and having themes or feelings as my priority freed me up to focus on what was important. Learning, fulfilling my brief and having fun. 


Updated The Game

I uploaded a new version of the game which is the exact same as the original upload only it is much more optimised.

New :
Download File : 87.4 MB
Uncompressed File : 697 MB

Old : 
Download File : 274 MB
Uncompressed File : 3.76 GB

The smaller file sizes also means it is less demanding and will load much faster.

With my new found knowledge of game making, the temptation to go in and remake most of Burnt_Bridge was great...


Just some thoughts...

I've done some thinking about my second year game project (obviously) and decided that I should share my Design Document (obviously). I think humans have an innate fear of loss. Sharing this document originally felt like I was losing something valuable, ideas that I had worked on and towards for quiet some time last year.

But now, I realise it is best to share them. After all I want to pursue a career as an ideas man, a director, a thinker, a designer. I can always come up with more ideas. How am I even supposed to find a career as an ideas man if I don't share my ideas? How am I supposed to improve if I don't open my ideas up for criticism?

This document represents a step in my evolution as an ideas man and I think it is very important for me to mark that date. I always liked the idea of documenting my progress. The road to betterment feels long when you can't remember where you were.

I figure someone else might also get some use out of it. At the time I found examples of decent design documents to be few and far between. I hope to at least add to the small pile so that others can take what they find useful from it's structure and the like.
I think I'd be wise to listen to the words of big purple dinosaurs and bears in blue houses more often, sharing is caring.

We shall 'shlaters',
Richard.