8Bit Buds : Pixel Character Illustrations

'8bit Buds'

Yes yes yes, they are technically more like 16bit characters but what name would flow well with 16bit? 16bit Buds just doesn't have the same ring to it, it sounds a lot slower and more boring frankly. At least that is what I keep saying to myself to hide the fact that, well, I originally called the piece 8Bit Buds in my Portfolio Section some time ago. I have only realised that it is technically incorrect yesterday of writing this piece...

Anywho! Welcome to this blog post where I unveil the secrets behind the making!

Well the first thing that I should disclose is that I used a software called 'Game Character Hub' on Steam... not a sponsor...

Essentially it is a Photoshop software that is laid out in such a way and has tool presets to help you create pixelated characters for games! More specifically for use with the 'RPG Maker' series... not a sponsor...

The software has a variety of templates so what I did was paint over them! It can give you a generic figure and its up to you if you want to change it or just add some personality on top.

Dawh, look at the w'ittle Ada.

I know, I know, I know. I have cheated you all! Well, no, not really. I do get this feeling some times that I am given too much credit for the Pixel Pals that created. ...AH MAN, that's great name! Why didn't I think of that before!...

Changing a blank humanoid collection of pixels into something that resembles an actual human being is the trickiest part is it not?
When it comes to traditional drawing for me, I'm good at getting a human shape pretty fast and pretty accurate... but I can rarely get it to look like the person I'm drawing...
So I found the creation of these low res' lads (another good one, dammit...) to be a worth while test to try and get a grip with capturing someone's likeness. With so very few pixels to work with one has to be very conservative, and really try to understand the features that distinguish this person from another. 

Final version of Neil from Sonra Productions.
Earlier version now dubbed 'Neil the Greaser'.

I see the same learning coming from other art styles too.

Original Vault Boy Designs for the Fallout franchise (Left) and
Fan made designs for different characters (Right)
(original sources unknown.)

When I was creating the individual characters that make up '8bit Buds' (still a perfectly fine name...) it was for a podcast series over on the YouTube channel I am a part of, Sonra Productions. I wanted to represent each person on the podcasts in a consistent, appealing and instantly recognisable way. I was going for an 'all the same but different' look. I guess because it shows how we are all people, we are all connected by the same interests but we are all individuals. Maybe I just thought that made them looked good side by side.
Who they are based on! (above pictures don't represent what I worked with)
From left to right - Richard (Me), Jack, Conor, Alex, Neil.

It was one of those things that I didn't think about too hard, I was just having fun!

We shall 'shlaters', Richard.