My Video Game Inventing Venture 2017 | GDJ



For this semester of college we have to make a vertical slice of a video game under certain criteria.
  • 2D platformer
  • Made in Unity
  • It has to be inspired by the poem ,'The Stolen Child' by W.B Yeats. (yup.)
  • Player character needs to be able to move left, right, jump, die and has to be able to do one other thing of our choice.
  • Include an automated AI character.
  • There has to be another object with an animation.
  • Include a triggered particle effect.
  • Include an interactive audio track.
  • Implement a complimentary user interface.
  • Include interactive/decaying platforms.
  • Must contain puzzle(s) with a push & pull system, a button system and a door system.
  • The list goes on.

I'm looking forward to tackling this project! Even though my face in the thumbnail for this blog is accurate to the face I made when I got this brief, and even though the list seems limiting at first glance, I lllooovvveee working within in limitations. I long for the challenge of coming up with clever, and sometimes cheeky, solutions and workarounds! It gives character to one's work I believe!


This right here, as in what you are currently reading, is the introduction blog to the future blogs detailing my journey in developing a video game prototype*!

So far in my video game career (in regards to making an entire game project from start to finish) I have a board game and two video games prototypes under my belt, with the exception of one the rest were made on a team. This particular adventure is one that I have to take on by myself!

I have made a good start on it and I have been keeping a private blog updated for one of my modules. So my near future blogs, that will be coming out weekly, are lagging behind a bit. Even still, there is not a lot of time to get this done.
I better get back to it!


We shall 'shlaters',
Richard.

__________
Blog Notes :

*Lets see how this goes!

Get up to date on my adventure by clicking the 'Game Design Journal' tag on this post!

Follow along with my travels by checking out my social media accounts!
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/RichToTheArdYo/
Twitter : https://twitter.com/RichToTheArdYo
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/richtotheardyo/