One Giant Leap | GDJ




Progress Report...
I have completed the Concept Game Design Document for my college prototype and I have most of the nuts and bolts laid out in the event that I want to take this game further after my deadlines.


I have nailed down the design for the main character, Tic, although I may be playing around with the exact proportions for a bit longer.


I have also nailed down the design for the lander checkpoint...

...and the orbiting space ship. Guess which one it is!



I am very close to deciding on a colour scheme for the game too!
I have made a couple of drawings that are meant to mimic what a screen shot might look like in the game!
...I cannot even express how many asterisks should probably follow that sentence...


I began coding the prototype using simple blocks. I have the basic layout of my level created, the stationary cameras set up (but I have yet to create a trigger for switching between the audio listeners on each camera), a button which activates a door at the end and the player avatar is able to do all the basic actions needed to complete the level (except for pulling which I haven't figured out just yet). I have also made it so that the character can rotate to fit the slope of a hill but not rotate when they are not touching the ground to avoid falling over entirely, although it's not 100% fool proof yet. Its a bigger deal then it sounds though...
Most of everything works perfectly, in that it doesn't give an errors, but I am currently caught up in a mess of code that should allow the player to pull a block with them, but no such luck yet...



I am trying to work it out on paper just to separate myself from the commotion and focus on this one thing.
I'll crack it soon enough I'm sure!




We shall 'shlaters',
Richard.


__________

Blog Notes:

Get up to date on my adventure & progress by clicking the 'Game Design Journal' tag on this post!

Follow along with my travels by checking out my social media accounts!
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/RichToTheArdYo/
Twitter : https://twitter.com/RichToTheArdYo
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/richtotheardyo/